Fine Arts at Norbeck Montessori
To broaden children’s horizons and develop critical new skills during their early childhood
Welcome to the Montessori Preschool with Fine Arts
Children are born with a natural curiosity, and our Rockville Montessori preschool believes in making the most out of that creativity. As children explore and observe the world around them, they need unrestricted exploration opportunities to help them learn. Art is a natural outgrowth of this type of unrestricted exploration and the self-guided learning it creates. At Norbeck Montessori, art exploration is a key component of our overall preschool and kindergarten program.
Why Fine Arts are Important in Preschool & Kindergarten?
Art provides a number of learning opportunities for preschool and kindergarten students, which is why it is an important focus of our Rockville preschool curriculum. Through art instruction and exploration, our students gain:
- Fine motor skills – It takes even greater fine motor skills to maneuver a paintbrush than a pencil, and the more art exploration students tackle, the better their fine motor skills become.
- Cognitive development – Students learn important things like cause and effect and patterning when they practice with art materials.
- Language skills – Describing and explaining artwork helps develop critical language skills in a self-chosen manner.
- Positive choices – Positive choices is a key component of Montessori learning, and art gives children the chance to make many choices that create a positive outcome.
- Process-based learning – The goal of art instruction in Montessori is to focus on the process, not the product. Children are free to express themselves freely, with little focus on what the final product will be. Praise is on the work the child is doing, not the end result.
- Self-discipline – Young children must be patient and self-controlled when working with art materials, which helps reinforce the self-discipline that is at the heart of Montessori instruction.
Our Fine Arts Preschool & Kindergarten Curriculum
Art is integrated into the everyday Montessori curriculum, but Norbeck Montessori does even more through our enrichment programs. Our students have free use of real art materials. You will often see our children painting on real canvases with acrylic paints or working with modeling clay. The goal of these programs is to teach children about different aspects of art so they can explore it while also understanding it. We want to create children who truly appreciate art.
Because of our fine arts program, children are able to not only show their artwork to their families but also explain how they created them and what materials they used. Our fine arts curriculum continues to embrace the individualized instruction and self-paced learning that defines Montessori but brings into the classroom the materials and supplies necessary to experience art. The end result is a classroom of students with the freedom to explore their creative side while also learning about art mediums, artists, and artistic methods.
What Parents Say
We believe that clear communication with parents is essential to the child’s wellbeing. It is particularly important during the early preschool years when children reach and surpass many developmental milestones. Naturally, we work diligently to help each of the children to be best taken care of. That is the reason why the parents give us best reviews. Here are a few of them.
Preschool Tours & Applications for Norbeck Montessori
Are you ready to see us in action? Or do you just have a few more questions? Either way, we would love to speak with you. Visit our Info and Tours page to contact us or schedule a tour.
Enrollment opens every January for the upcoming summer and fall sessions and we take applicants on a first come first served basis.
Is Norbeck Montessori Near Me?
Although our Montessori school is located in Rockville, we have kindergarten students who come from surrounding areas, including Aspen Hill, Colesville, Gaithersburg, Glenmont, Norbeck, Olney, Shady Grove, Silver Spring, Wheaton, and nearby areas of Montgomery County.
Stop by and see our Norbeck Montessori school in action.
Ask a Question
The Enrichment Programs
Turning your child’s inner potential to lifelong skills.
Our Spanish-English bilingual preschool and kindergarten classrooms offer a traditional Montessori experience in an environment that integrates both languages.