Norbeck Montessori is a private school designed for children entering preschool and kindergarten in the Colesville, Maryland area. Our Montessori programs are specially designed to enage children in learning in dynamic and stimulating ways, preparing them for success in a variety of areas of study, including Spanish immersion, mathematics, STEM, and more. Take a look at our curriculum to learn more! In our Montessori learning environment, we are honored to be a part of your child’s journey and believe your preschool or kindergarten child will thrive.
Curious about Montessori education? We invite you to tour our school, which is conveniently located in the Colesville, Maryland area.
Why Choose a Montessori School in Colesville?
Montessori is a unique and highly effective positive learning approach that helps young children capture their natural desire and capacity to learn. Unlike traditional preschool programs, students are not pushed through a curriculum before they are ready. Rather, with Montessori, young learners learn at their own pace with individualized, hands-on instruction. The entire learning environment is set up to encourage methodical learning and self-discipline.
If you are looking for a preschool program that will create children who love to learn and who have the self-discipline to learn on their own, our Colesville Montessori school is the right choice. We offer both Montessori preschool and Montessori kindergarten programs.
Schedule a visit to our Colesville Montessori preschool today to see how the active learning environment works.
Preschool & Kindergarten Programs for Ages 2 to 6
The Montessori preschool and kindergarten programs at Norbeck Montessori are designed to naturally capture a young learners’ curiosity about the world. This starts with our Transitional Two’s Toddler Preschool Program. This program is for the two- and three-year-old students. It uses songs, stories and simple Montessori materials to foster a toddler’s natural curiosity.
From there, students graduate to our Primary Preschool Program. This multi-age classroom allows three-, four- and five-year-old students to develop into independent, thoughtful individuals. Materials and lessons are designed to help children absorb knowledge in a meaningful way. Students observe their classmates to help guide their own exploration and learning.
Finally, five- and six-year-old students enter our Big K Montessori Kindergarten. This kindergarten program is a natural extension of our preschool program, which includes a morning Montessori time in our multi-age classroom followed by afternoon Montessori kindergarten instruction to prepare students for their future academic success.
Learn more about the benefits of Montessori learning for your preschooler or kindergartener in the Colesville area when you contact us online today.
Our Colesville Montessori Curriculum
Our Colesville preschool and kindergarten programs focus on the philosophy of learning established by Dr. Maria Montessori, who believed that children learn because of thier natural curiosity and love for knowledge. Our curriculum is divided into five distinct areas. These are:
- Practical Life – Norbeck Montessori teaches preschool children how to perform life activities, like controlling the body, contributing to the classroom community, pouring liquids, sweeping the floor and more. Children work hard every day to keep the classroom clean and organized.
- Sensorial Curriculum – Young learners use their senses to interact with classroom material, learning through sight, touch, taste, smell, and sound. The curriculum builds in opportunities for children to use their senses while building their thinking skills.
- Language Arts – Norbeck Montessori creates an environment where children are exposed to written and spoken words regularly, moving naturally through the process of acquiring written and spoken language skills.
- Math – Montessori teaches math as a language, helping preschool and kindergarten students learn to reason, calculate and estimate. Counting is a key component of this, and as students learn number relationships they can move on to more detailed computations.
- Cultural Lessons – History, geography, and science are built into cultural lessons. Students are taught how to observe while asking “why” and “how” questions to learn about the world around them.
The best way to understand this Montessori curriculum is to observe it in person. Take a look at our Montessori curriculum for yourself by observing one of our preschool or kindergarten classroom programs! Schedule a tour.
Why Choose Norbeck as Your Colesville Montessori School?
Norbeck Montessori has a safe, comfortable, loving classroom environment that is well stocked with traditional Montessori learning materials. Our Colesville Montessori preschool teaches children friendship, respect, kindness, and interdependence, with teachers serving as facilitators to lead individual and small-group instruction while also encouraging collaborative learning.
Schedule your tour today and see the difference that Montessori instruction can make in your child’s life!